Friday, November 8, 2013

Gray Skies Beautiful

Gray Sky Beautiful, Hadley MA - 11/7/2013
(Photo by S. Vardatira)
Farmhouse Under a Gray Sky, Hadley MA - 11/7/2013
(Photo by S. Vardatira)

Setting Sun, Amherst MA - 11/7/2013
(Photo by S. Vardatira)
When it comes to describing a beautiful vista, "gray skies" is not the term that usually springs to mind. But yesterday in the valley we had exactly that - starkly beautiful layers of undulating clouds in varying shades of gray (stratocumulus I would guess), stretching out from our hill-bounded horizon in every direction. I ended up ignoring my mid-day errands and work as I drove away from town and towards farmland to get a more expansive view. At one point when I had exited my car to take pictures, a police cruiser pulled up and asked if everything was okay. I nodded "everything's great," and gestured with my camera towards the sky. The officers followed my gaze, nodded in appreciation, and then waved good-naturedly as they headed on their way. "Carry on," they called as they drove off, "enjoy your day."  And so I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment