Thursday, February 5, 2015

On morning snow, evening wind chill, and my brush with frostbite

Cushman Brook, Amherst MA
Photo by S. Vardatira
Yes, that's more snow you're seeing out there, but it won't amount to more than an inch or two. At the same time, that inch or two will definitely make the roads and sidewalks slick in spots and obscure icy patches - so go easy when traveling this morning.

Also, keep in mind that a WIND CHILL ADVISORY is in effect for our area, from 6 pm this evening to 9 am Friday morning, for bitterly cold wind chills down to -18 F. Temperatures will be falling throughout the day as winds pick up to 10-20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. If you are heading outdoors, dress in layers and wear hat and gloves. Take it from one who knows - frostbite can develop very quickly (even when you think you are more than well protected).

In my case, it was a mild form of frostbite, known as "frostnip," which I experienced earlier this week on one of those “bitterly cold,” wind chill warning days when my gloves got snow-filled and then icy. (I was digging myself out of a deep snow bank using my hands, and how I got there is really so stupid it boggles the mind – and that’s all I’m sharing about that!) All within the space of about 15 minutes, before I got back to my car, my hands became completely numb, and although they thawed relatively quickly with none of the truly awful symptoms of frostbite, I still have lingering numbness on the tips of my fingers now, several days later. I had never even heard of frostnip before – it’s something outdoor enthusiasts and nature photographers tend to talk about (it's apparently somewhat common among rock climbers who scale walls of ice in the winter). Fortunately, with frostnip, the fingertip numbness usually goes away after a week or two.  And when you get frostnip you feel grateful, as you just avoided full-on frostbite.

Winter is lovely – to a point. While you’re enjoying the snow and thrilling to the incredibly beautiful painted white vistas out there, keep your wits about you. Don’t dive into a snowbank without an exit strategy, and be aware that extreme cold is dangerous. If you need your fingers and toes (and nose), protect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment