Monday, December 10, 2012

Crazy Dense Fog Tonight

We may not have snow yet, but we have been blanketed nevertheless. This past week has been - off and on - a study in varying amounts of fog, tonight's being the most dense yet. My drive back from Hartford after nightfall started out fine, but by the time I had arrived in North Amherst, the visibility was down to about 50 feet. Years ago in New Hampshire, I once found myself driving in fog that was so thick we literally couldn't see five feet in front of us and had to resort to opening the car door and navigating by the yellow line down the center of the road (also a handy trick in blizzard conditions). Tonight wasn't quite that bad, but it was starting to remind me of that time. It's one of those nights I feel blessed to be inside a brightly lit, warm house and not outside in the blanket of fog. For anyone traveling tonight, stay safe - and keep a good distance between you and anyone else on the road. The fog is forecast to let up later this evening, with rain until about 3 am. But by 9 am tomorrow, this will all be behind us and the sun will come out...finally.

2 comments:

  1. It was absolutely beautiful,the fog that is, while in the spa. The trees seemed magical as my holiday tunes floated in the background. I'll have to try and paint when it is like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a spa, watching the fog... what could be better? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete