Saturday, December 29, 2012

Jim Cantore Calling (aka Storm Warning in the Air)

Sky Over Amherst - 12/29/2012; 10:00 am

A short while ago, my phone rang, and who should be on the other end but Jim Cantore (famed Weather Channel meteorologist) informing me that a “severe weather alert” had been issued for my area. Friends who are not weather obsessed are often wowed by the fact that Jim Cantore calls on a regular basis to warn me about impending weather events. I mean, who am I to get such preferred treatment? One night earlier in the fall, as thunderstorms were marching in succession across the Valley over the course of several hours, Jim actually called me about a dozen times. To be honest, since our gathering could hear the thunderstorms all around, the warnings were hardly necessary. But I think it made all of us feel just a little more secure knowing Cantore was on the job, looking out for us. Those of you who follow the weather (heck, Cantore may actually call you, too) know that, in actuality, the phone calls I am receiving are completely automated. So far anyway, Jim Cantore has not placed an individual call to my phone. “Notify” by the Weather Channel provides the service, and Jim Cantore is the voice on the line. Those of you who receive these calls can testify to their effectiveness. Jim Cantore’s affect is serious and urgent, calm, and clear about the need for the listener to “take all appropriate precautions.” Or something like that anyway.

All this to say that, according to Jim (and as you probably already know unless you’re vacationing on a tropical island somewhere), a Winter Storm Warning is currently in effect for our area through 6 am Sunday morning. Expect between 4-6 inches of snow (possibly more, as predictions have been inching up since this morning). The area in and around Boston will get the most snow, but Amherst will also get a “plowable” amount of the fluffy, white stuff. At the moment, it’s coming down at a good rate. Skiers will be happy, as will anyone who enjoys going outside in snowy weather. My walk to Puffer’s Pond earlier today was especially beautiful in the falling snow.  I crossed paths with Millie, an adorable, 12-week old labradoodle puppy, and her new owner, both of whom paused to greet me. Millie was absolutely giddy with excitement - about me, about the outing, about the snow on the ground, about the snow falling from the sky. And I could completely relate! Enjoy the weather everyone - and stay safe out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment