Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Musing on summer in the dead of winter

On "Wind Chill Warning" days like this, I always enjoy reflecting on what I wear in the summer to bring garbage to the curb for the weekly pickup - light pants, short sleeved shirt, and whatever shoes (and sometimes flip-flops) are handy. For this morning's 10 minute chore, I donned my warmest lined pants, fleece jacket, thick socks, heavy boots, faux fur heavy coat (pre-warmed by cat), thickest pair of gloves available, lined bomber hat, wool scarf, and stablicers (because that thinnest coating of snow is slippery, especially where it hides small ice patches). Then, as I was struck breathless by the cold wind, I tried to imagine summer. By the way, mittens will be better today than gloves. Ten minutes later, and my fingers were already feeling the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment