Saturday, November 13, 2021

Do cloudy days bring out the color?

Fall foliage in rain - Deerfield, MA
Photo by Sharon Vardatira

The question is not what you look at, but what you see.

 ~ Henry David Thoreau

Every year around this time, our perennial household debate: do fall foliage colors "pop" more when it's sunny or when it's cloudy? I submit for your consideration this photo, which I took yesterday during a lull in the downpours. Despite Western Massachusetts being well past peak now, this stand of orange trees under a grey stratus sky was utterly attention grabbing. Indeed, I was not the only person compelled to pull off the road and grab her camera. No surprise, then, that I land firmly on the side of "cloudy days bring out the colors." That said, I am not immune to the glory of sunlight slanting through the leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment