Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Walking out of work, into the snow!

Puffer's Pond - Morning, Febuary 5, 2014 (Photo by S. Vardatira)

State Street in Snow - 2/5/14
(Photo by S. Vardatira)
The problem with a home business is that snow closings are irrelevant - this is still a work day as long as the electricity is on (and it is on, fortunately). Coworkers in other parts of the country assume I will be at my desk at 9 am, not to mention my scheduled 10am Skype conference. But, on the other hand, the joy of a home office is that there's no one to stop you from taking a turn through the woods. So, in that spirit, I took off for the great outdoors at about 8:30am and got back home 2 minutes before my conference call. Wild haired and ruddy from the cold, but happy. That’s right, I walked off the job, just like that!

As for the outing, walking through 4 inches of snow (when I left) is easier than 6 inches (when I returned), even with the snow as light and fluffy as it is. At this point, unless you are walking on a plowed street, use skis or snowshoes. Or dog sled.

Second, this is not a day to forget to bring something to wipe off your lens and protect your camera. It is coming down at a fast clip.

And third, it's absolutely breathtaking out there.

Robert Frost Trail
Amherst, MA - 2/5/2014
(Photo by S. Vardatira)
Here are the only people I encountered in my 90 minute outing:

1. Neighbor out doing his hourly clearing of the street and walks in front of his house (and he kindly offered to shovel us out - and I kindly declined).
2. One jeep - passed me twice, once going up and once coming down State Street (the street that borders Puffer’s Pond).
3. One four wheel drive SUV
4. Woman and dog hiking on Robert Frost Trail. Dog was jubilant.

Happily, not one plow passed, although it sounds like a plow just took a turn down the street as I'm writing. It’s well over 6 inches at this point and snowing steadily.  Here are just a few scenes (photos and videos) from my trek to Puffer’s Pond and Cushman Brook.


 
 
 
 

Snowing on State Street - 2/5/2014
(But what's really interesting is what happens when I point the camera up)


Cushman Brook in the Snow, 2/5/2014
 
Snow through Railroad Trestle - State Street, Amherst MA, 2/5/2014
Photo by S. Vardatira
 
Puffer's Pond in Snow - 2/5/2014
(Photo by S. Vardatira)

2 comments:

  1. The pictures are gorgeous, but the video that points up is really remarkable. Thanks for capturing things that no one else can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to puffers yet but now I really wantt to go. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete